- Casino Facts
- Press Room
- Join Us!
Beat the House
Saturday, June 6, 2009 - 1:00pm - 5:00pm
Harrah's Casino, 777 Harrahs Blvd, Chester, PA
Beat the House theme song
Thanks to Casino-Free supporters Isabella LiPuma, 14, and Chelsea Cylinder, 13!
Think you can't Beat the House? Think again.
On Saturday, June 6, 2009, members of Casino-Free and other citizens' groups will gather inside a slots parlor located just a few miles from Philadelphia to call attention to the predatory practices used by the casino industry.
The event, called Beat the House, will send two messages: A message of defiance to the predatory gambling trade, and a message of support to Philadelphians who want to keep slot parlors out of their city.
For the last five years the predatory gambling trade and its political allies have tried to force casinos into our communities, and now is the time we will focus public attention on where it belongs: on the product itself. Our actions during Beat the House will direct the public consciousness on the precise predatory practices being used on our fellow citizens.
During Beat the House we will reveal how the machines are designed and how a slots parlor functions in ways that maximizes the cultivation of gambling addicts and problem gamblers, on whose backs the industry survives.
Who is participating?
The action is being planned by Casino-Free Philadelphia and other community and social action groups. Friends from other states will be joining us, too. Casino-Free Philadelphia has been fighting to keep casinos out of Philadelphia since 2006. Who will be there? You, and all your friends!
When will you Beat the House?
Beat the House will occur on Saturday, June 6, from 2–5 pm. In order to participate, you must attend one of the training sessions, which will be held:
- Wednesday, June 3, 6–8 pm
- The day of the event, Saturday, June 6, 11 am–1 pm
What is the schedule for June 6, the day you Beat the House?
- 11 am–1 pm: Training for those unable to make either of the earlier trainings.
- 1–2 pm: We meet at the send-off location (Liberty Resources), eat lunch and travel to the casino.
- 2–5 pm: The Beat the House events will be short and take place at different times throughout the day. We will distribute information about everything you need to know.
- 5–6 pm: Return to Philadelphia
- 6 pm and on: The after party! We'll celebrate our victorious day!
|Beat the House flyer (PDF)||366.7 KB|