- Casino Facts
- Press Room
- Join Us!
The Pennsylvania Supreme Court and the Predatory Gambling Trade
- The Supreme Court failed to disclose it had financial ties to a lawyer representing Foxwoods in several cases being heard by the court..
- The Supreme Court upheld the constitutionality of the Gaming Act in what many believe was a trade-off for the infamous 2005 pay-raise.
- Justice Castille was the law school roommate of the PGCB chairman Tad Decker, who, after awarding the gaming licenses, now heads up the law firm representing both SugarHouse and Foxwoods.
- Former Chief Justice Stephen A. Zappala Sr. is the head of the PA Casino Association, which is the lobbying outfit that represents both SugarHouse and Foxwoods.
- Former Chief Justice Ralph Cappy retired and went directly to the law firm Buchanan Ingersoll, which then represented Foxwoods investor Peter DePaul in his successful petition to the PA Supreme Court to invalidate the campaign finance restrictions of the Gaming Act.
- Former Justice Bill Lamb is one of the investors in SugarHouse.
- If anyone claims the judges of the PA Supreme Court act unethically, such charges are heard by a special court called the Court of Judicial Discipline, comprised of the likes of such esteemed people as SugarHouse investor Dick Sprague (Chief Judge, 2004–2008), SugarHouse investor Bill Lamb (2005–2009) and Foxwoods investor Peter DePaul (1993–1997). We have no evidence of wrongdoing, but do you think these guys might be owed any favors?
- We could go on and on. Email us at info [at] casinofreephila [dot] org with anything we’ve missed.
Please phone these members of the House Judiciary Committee and ask them to start impeachment hearings against Justice Castille now:
- Rep. Thomas Caltagirone (D-Reading): (717) 787-3525 (majority chair)
- Rep. Ron Marsico (R-Harrisburg): (717) 652-3721 (minority chair)
- Rep. Bryan Lentz (D-Swarthmore): (717) 787-8574 (committee member)
- Rep. Josh Shapiro (D-Montgomery County): (717) 783-7619 (committee member)
- Please also call your own district representative, whom you can find on the House website.
Please let us know after you call your representatives so that we can track how much of an impact we've had. Complete our quick followup report, which won't take more than 30 seconds but helps us a lot!
Not sure what to say? Tell them you are outraged at the conduct of Chief Justice Ron Castille and that you would like the Judiciary Committee to initiate impeachment hearings. For too long the Supreme Court has done the bidding of the predatory gambling trade. Impeach Justice Castille and investigate his cohorts on the court. We deserve an honest court system!