- Casino Facts
- Press Room
- Join Us!
Jobs and Internships
Casino-Free Philadelphia was founded on June 1, 2006 with the mission of stopping casinos from coming to Philadelphia, and closing any that open. Casino-Free is not opposed to gambling, only to the predatory practices used to purposely generate addiction. The social and economic costs of predatory gambling are plainly apparent from an industry reliant on addiction to survive. The casino industry thrives by increasing gambling addiction, targeting the poor, and avoiding paying the costs associated with crime, bankruptcy, and the losses from other local businesses.
In the nearly five years since its beginning Casino-Free and its partners have caused more than two and a half year of delays before the opening of Sugar House Casino and were instrumental in the revocation of the Foxwoods Casino license.
In addition to local organizing work, Casino-Free has also been involved in national organizing against the predatory gambling industry, sharing experiences with similar groups all around the country.
Casino-Free Philadelphia is seeking to hire a part-time Organizational Development consultant to work 20 hours/week.
Organizational Strategy & Development
- Planning strategic actions with action working group and Board of Directors.
- Support, developing political and legislative strategy.
- Developing relationships with leadership from other community groups around the city to strengthen and build alliances.
- Overseeing grant writing.
- Reporting and overseeing grassroots fundraising working group (phone banking, yearly mailing, and online appeals).
- Speak to press and other interested parties about goals and views of Casino-Free.
- Coordinate 40 presentations/year on predatory gambling.
- Recruit supporters to volunteer on committees and at actions.
- Respond to online forms, organize volunteer appreciation activities, and coordinate volunteer working groups.
- Keeping space organized, clean, and supplied.
- Manage relationship with landlord and pay rent/utilities.
Core Group Communication
- Facilitate good communication between active committee leadership.
- Plan regular supporter meetings.
- At least two years organizing experience, with at least half of that time spent in a leadership role.
- Fundraising experience preferred.
- Organizational management experience.
Reports to: Board of Directors.
The qualified applicant may have the opportunity to convert to full time within 6–9 months, depending on success of fundraising efforts.
If interested, please submit résumé and three professional references to shandra [dot] bp [at] gmail [dot] com (Shandra Bernath-Plaisted).
Casino-Free Philadelphia is looking for talented and dedicated interns to work on one of the most aggressive and successful campaigns in the city.
Interns will work with campaign staff directly or on individual projects that will build our capacity to continue fighting to protect our city. Interns will work 8–15 hours per week including a weekly meeting with campaign staff. We will work with interns to receive college credit if interested. Internships may be 3–6 months long, with flexible start and end dates.
Organizing interns will assist the lead organizer in the following areas:
- Build and deepen our relationships with allies, ranging from small community groups to labor unions to local businesses.
- Work with leadership director and volunteer coordinator to find roles for new folks to plug into the organizing work
- Develop and execute outreach plan to build our membership (tables at events, speaks at events)
Campaign and Action Planning
- Leads efforts to design and implement campaigns
- Plan actions and events that will further our campaign goals
To apply, send a résumé to info [at] CasinoFreePhilly [dot] org along with any specific interests or goals you have for your internship.